Wow – what a huge three days the Senior Competition Group have had! With day one of States held at Pt Noarlunga on Sunday 15th March and days 2 and 3 held at Southport on Saturday 28th and Sunday 29th of March we are all a little tired and ready for a short break before winter training begins in a few weeks.
We achieved some awesome results – making finals in numerous events, achieving top 6 finishes (giving the club points) on 16 occasions and winning 6 medals (3 Bronze, 2 Silver and 1 Gold).
Thanks firstly to the small but extremely dedicated crew who participated in numerous events over the three days. It is amazing to see such a close and supportive bunch of people work together for our club.
Thanks must also go to the following: –
- all of the parents/families and other supporters that came down – it was great to hear Semaphore being loudly cheered on.
- Trent Bampton, Steve Harris and Tina Williams who were our additional handlers for the belt races on day 1. Special thanks to Tina who stepped in at the last minute to help us when we realised we were one handler short when two competitors from one age group made the final!
- our officials and water cover for their attendance at all our carnivals throughout the year. Huge thanks to Raelene Donnell for coordinating the officials and making sure that the numbers we were required to provide were met (and often exceeded).
- Kerry Schulz for her tireless effort throughout the year, especially in regards to ensuring nominations for every carnival, including states were entered for Juniors, Seniors, Masters and Boats – a massive job!
- Ailsa Bisset for taking some great and memorable photos throughout the season.
- Greg McKenzie, Craig Lienert and Neil Bisset for assisting with towing trailers – either to carnivals and/or coast training sessions, training camps etc. Extra thanks to Greg who was often Assistant Team Manager.
- Our coaches – Jeff Bampton – beach, Trent Bampton – swim, Laurence Fletcher – skis and Nick Penny – boards. These volunteer roles take up considerable time – your effort to ensure our competitors had consistent and regualr training is much appreciated.
- Sean McKenzie – for absolutley EVERYTHING! Sean is the true representation of a clubbie, dedicating so much of his time to all of the senior group and the club in general. We are very lucky to have him as part of Semaphore SLSC.
The aim of the Senior Competition Group this season was to finish in the top 10. Provisional results see us in 9th place and only a handful of points away from 8th. This is an awesome effort by the Seniors, Masters and Boaties and something to be very proud of.
This goes to show that this group is improving every year so just watch this space next season!!!!